A matrix team is a particular type of virtual team and may also experience other virtual team challenges such as working across distance, cultures, time zones and through technology.
As thought leaders in this field, we have a wide range of training modules on how to run teams and groups in matrix and virtual environments. We can quickly put together a program tailored to your specific needs.
Our support to matrix teams is usually in two key areas:
- building capability – building the skills and people capability needed to lead and succeed in matrix teams, face-to-face, through webinar, online or blended.
- embedding new ways of working – change programs to introduce new matrix and virtual ways of working in areas like meetings, travel and decision-making at scale across the organization
Some of the key factors we see in matrix teamwork, as compared to other types of virtual team include:
- Team members probably have more than one boss, they may also work on multiple teams at the same time
- They face competing goals and divided loyalties between the different bosses who often represent both the ‘vertical’ functions and the ‘horizontal’ matrix team
- They face greater challenges with prioritization and alignment
- They can experience higher levels of conflict due to organizational complexity
See more about the other virtual team challenges we can help with.
We bring practical tools and learning from having trained over 100,000 people in matrix and virtual teams over the last 20 years with over 300 of the world’s leading companies. We can deliver worldwide either face-to-face, through webinar or online.