Kill Bad Meetings: Halve your meetings to transform your culture, improve collaboration and accelerate decisions
Meetings are essential to collaboration and decision making, but they are often irrelevant, time consuming and badly run. People tell us they spend an average of 2 days per week in meetings and 50% of it is wasted – we need to kill bad meetings.
In decades working in complex matrix, virtual and global organisations we found that time and again the issue comes back to meetings. Meetings are where collaboration happens, where decisions get made and they consume a large proportion of the working time of managerial and professional people. If we can fix our meetings culture we can improve collaboration, decision-making and engagement and save a lot of time and money.
Traditional meetings training has focused on the facilitation and chairing of face-to-face meetings and whilst this is important it misses some critical facts
- half of meetings don’t need to happen at all, if we don’t kill bad meetings first then all we are doing with facilitation training is making people more effective at organising unnecessary work
- many meetings are virtual – and the skills of designing and running effective virtual meetings are quite different
- meetings are a reflection of our corporate culture. Many organisations have tried to change their meetings culture through focus on facilitation and quickly found that, despite initial improvements, the number and quality of meeting soon springs back to what it was before. If we don’t resolve the underlying corporate cultural issues we can’t make a sustained change the way we meet.
After extensive client work in this area we have written a new book and training program Kill Bad Meetings: Cut 50% of your meetings to transform your culture, improve collaboration and accelerate decisions.
This book and training will help you win back that wasted day a week by cutting out the half of face to face and virtual meetings that do not need to happen and radically improving the ones that remain.
The two authors, one our experienced CEO and consultant to major multinationals, the other a millennial line manager working within one of the world’s largest companies, find common ground, and occasional disagreements on creating new ways of meeting both face to face and through technology that are far more engaging and effective for everyone.
The book and training focuses on three main areas
- Dealing with the business and corporate cultural challenges in changing the way we meet
- Cutting out the unnecessary topics and participants that make up 50% of today’s meetings
- Designing and running faster and more focused face to face and online meetings with more relevant content; clearer decisions and actions, and much higher levels of participation
Full of examples and practical tools to kill bad meetings and improve everything from your regular team meetings to management meetings, online conferences, global meetings and big events. This book will lead you through practical actions and targets to kill the meetings that do not need to happen and radically improve the ones that remain.
You can pre-order the book now on Amazon.co.uk (US launch will be early 2018). We will be writing more about the new face to face workshops, virtual classrooms and online learning in this area in June.
Please click below to preorder the book Kill Bad Meetings
Educate yourself further with a few more or our online insights:
25 years of experience learning with a range of world class clients
We work with a wide range of clients from global multinationals to recent start-ups. Our audiences span all levels, from CEOs to operational teams around the world. Our tools and programs have been developed for diverse and demanding audiences.
Tailored training or off the shelf modules for your people development needs
We are deep content experts in remote & virtual teams, matrix management and agile & digital leadership. We are highly flexible in how we deliver our content and ideas. We can tailor content closely to your specific needs or deliver off the shelf bite sized modules based on our existing IP and 25 years of training experience.
For more about how we deliver our keynotes, workshops, live web seminars and online learning.