Five tips for working successfully in a remote or virtual team
Not every situation is the same, but these general tips, taken from Global Integration’s Training guide to remote and virtual teams may make working within a remote or global team, where you may not see either your manager or your fellow team members, may help:
1. Recognise that not everything will come from ‘above’. You’re on the team because of your expertise, so rise to the challenge and take responsibility for more.
2. Don’t give your leader surprises – help them to keep their finger on the pulse of what’s happening, and life will be more comfortable for everyone – including in other parts of the organization.
3. Team leader’s absence does mean team leader’s lack of interest. Take the lead – develop clear expectations of how, and how often, you will communicate. Team leaders generally like to hear how you’re doing.
4. Your frustrations and any unhappiness may not be visible in the same way as physically working together. Find positive ways to express them in order to address them.
5. Doing a good job may not be enough – make sure your team leader is aware of how well you’re doing.
To diagnose your top issues and show how you benchmark against hundreds of other teams, take our remote and virtual teams questionnaire.
Educate yourself further with a few more or our online insights:
25 years of experience learning with a range of world class clients
We work with a wide range of clients from global multinationals to recent start-ups. Our audiences span all levels, from CEOs to operational teams around the world. Our tools and programs have been developed for diverse and demanding audiences.
Tailored training or off the shelf modules for your people development needs
We are deep content experts in remote & virtual teams, matrix management and agile & digital leadership. We are highly flexible in how we deliver our content and ideas. We can tailor content closely to your specific needs or deliver off the shelf bite sized modules based on our existing IP and 25 years of training experience.
For more about how we deliver our keynotes, workshops, live web seminars and online learning.