Some form of matrix organization has become the norm in large complex organizations. Companies rarely jump straight to their final form of matrix structure. Developing a matrix organization is a constant evolution to find the precise form of matrix that works for you.
This series of blog posts will identify eight key trends we see shaping the evolution of matrix organizations and matrix management in the next few years.
- Capability pools and activity streams.
- The role of specialists and generalists in the matrix organization.
- The open matrix – extending beyond the organization.
- Slicing and dicing.
- Paving the social paths.
- Less matrix structure more matrix management skills.
- Workflow and process in the matrix – centralize to decentralize.
- Horizontal silos in a matrix organization.
The common theme across these trends is the importance of developing matrix management and matrix working skills. Stay tuned to join the conversation!
Post script: Conclusions