Right at the top of organizations are the CEO and senior executives, the heads of the major functions, business units and geography. They don’t usually have dual reporting lines themselves but matrix leadership starts here and the people who work for them do usually have multiple bosses.
The matrix has less personal impact on these people so they can sometimes underestimate the impact of the matrix on managers further down the organization.
However the way they inspire, support, communicate the change journey and role model the new behaviours are absolutely critical to a successful implementation of matrix management.
Our work focuses on the leader’s critical role in:
- demystifying the structure by ensuring people understand why and how it will work
- creating and communicating a clear set of goals
- building a shared understanding of the change journey
- aligning structure, systems and skills to the new strategy
- acting as matrix guardians to fine tune and evolve the structure and way of working
- dealing with legacy systems and power structures that may obstruct the new way of working
- modelling and sponsoring the new leadership behaviours they want to see
- ensuring the development of the ‘informal structure’ – the networks, communities, teams and groups needed for success
- making sure that the ‘matrix middle’ – the management tiers most affected by the change– have the capability, confidence and support to do their jobs without high levels of escalation
- building an environment that enables the right balance of trust and control for their business
- creating a culture, mindset and skill set for success
Global Integration brings inspiration, ideas, process tools and facilitation, combined with learning from other organizations, to stimulate senior leaders’ thinking and help them find the right matrix leadership solution for their own business.
We can also provide support and coaching to help senior leaders think through where the matrix really adds value and to understand their own role in this new way of working.